Law Offices Of Andrew Merlo, P.A.


(561) 893-9993

Law Offices Of Andrew Merlo, P.A.

Can a mother file for paternity?

  • By: Andrew Merlo
  • Published: October 26, 2018

Absolutely! If you have a child then that child has a father and that father is responsible for caring for his child. You can file a petition for paternity and the court will order a DNA test if the father of your child disputes the petition. This will allow you to pursue financial support for your child, even if the father doesn’t want to be involved in the child’s life. Keep in mind however that you cannot just seek child support without the establishment of parental rights. If a father is given rights, he has obligations and rights to see his child unless he voluntarily waives those rights or the courts deem that person to be unfit in some way.

About the Author Marriage does not always work out as expected; the hurt and
stress can be overwhelming when things go wrong, contact
Attorney Andrew Merlo immediately for your free consultation.